Skip to main content

Growing Upwards

 Following the last post, I monitored my cress word to see how/if it grew, and how it changed during the week or so.


As it was only on damp kitchen roll, it had a tendency to dry out quickly, so needed checking more frequently than if I'd grown in soil or compost.



Day 8


By day 10, the cress was growing well (and I was remembering to water it!).  It grew unevenly, whether because of its position on my dining table, uneven spread of seeds, or quality of seeds, I'm not sure.  

Day 10




Day 10


I usually grow cress in tub or plant pots, in some kind of soil medium, so growing on kitchen roll on a glass tray felt wrong in some way, like I was depriving the seeds of their 'normal' habitat or nutrients.


Maybe this is how people or animals feel, when they're transplanted or have to make do with 'less' than they need?  Interesting idea to think about - I'm all for trying new growing ideas, but realise that plants/people/other organisms need much more than basic water and light to thrive properly.


If I use this idea in my project, I need to think about incorporating a better feeding system, as it feels a little unethical to not feed a plant properly.



Comments