Skip to main content

Word growing

Following my initial thinking about habitat words, I've begun to experiment with different ways of expressing/displaying/recording these words.

I wanted quick results, so my first idea was to draw the word 'habitat' on some kitchen roll, wrap it around a scrap of thick vinyl wallpaper for stability, dampen it, and then sow some cress seeds along the line of my handwriting.

I've taken photos of the first few days, and will monitor how/if the seeds grow, and whether there's mileage in the idea.  I'm not sure yet how this might translate into something a little more substantial for my project, or whether I might need to use a different 'growing' idea.

It was incredibly fiddly to get the seeds to 'behave' and line up on the damp paper - as they became damp themselves they stuck together, to my fingers, and to the tools I was using.  If I take this idea further, I will look at less frustrating and more efficient ways of 'sowing' seeds!




Day 1





Day 1







Day 3






Day 3











Comments